Thursday, May 26, 2011

Making the Bed

Just put sheets on the bed for the first time in over a month... I almost never sleep in it, preferring a hammock in the backyard; the rug, couch, or chair in the living room; a tent or the open air around Austin; a throw rug or thermarest on the back porch; under my desk at work.

The bed's not even two years old.  It's physically comfortable, but mentally immobile.  It's a tradeoff: I feel more rested during the day after I've slept in the bed, but during the night I'm more restless.  I've considered selling it, but meeting someone without a bed is a bit odd.  I've added it to a list of worst purchases:

1. Bed
2.

I gave my old bed away on craigslist.  The family that picked it up needed it.  I'd had it since I was 12.
My roommate's grandpa has a chair that folds out into a twin sized bed.  It's got a cheap foam pad on top.  It's the most comfortable matter I've ever slept on.  You can't feel the bar.  It's in Florida.
My brother made a bed out of plywood and a thin layer of foam.  Maybe I could do the same with just the foam.