Saturday, July 30, 2011

4mm

Symptom: Shock.  
Cause: Serration 40% through the last 4mm of left ring finger; another 20% through 20% of the last 2mm.
Background: An 8' beam of formed sheet steel dislodged from one end and pivoted around the other, striking my hand on its path to earth.

It didn't hurt because I couldn't feel my finger at all.  I rushed to a sink to evaluate the damage.  I got dizzy, wanted to vomit and got fatigued.  My ears rang.  Voices made my head hurt.  I sat down in a chair someone brought over, still wanting to vomit.  Tunnelvision, trying to drink water.  Lied down on the floor.  Broke a sweat.   My faint heart rate dropped well below 40.  Covered in sweat.  Someone covered my finger with a bandage.  Still awake, but I couldn't see... anything... completely black.  20 minutes later I didn't have to vomit.  My tunnel vision came back.  Dizzy, still on the floor.  Fortunately, a sports medicine guy was around and walked me through every emotion as they occurred, explaining that I'd be alright soon; perfectly normal.  

We looked at the wound some more.  Went to the minor emergency clinic.  Got some "adhesive stitches".  Doctor told me I'll probably lose feeling and some portion of the end of my finger.  Still can't feel it now, which is good because it doesn't hurt.  

We'll see how this affects climbing.  Dr. specifically mentioned not to climb for a month; that won't happen, but I'll definitely not use it.

Bummer.

All is well.