Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Where have I been?

Texas gerrymandering at its finest:  On my short 7 mile bike ride to work, I cross through three congressional districts: 
My house is in district 10... representing the republican stronghold of Houston, and whipping its tentacles all the way to my liberal town, covering a small swath of republican outposts in between.

At mile 2, I cross into district 25... representing the Santorum-hailing town of Fort Worth, stretching all the way down through George Bush's far-right backcountry.

When I cross the property line at NI, I'm suddenly in the small Austin peninsula that is district 17, which spreads both north and east in excess of 100 miles, covering cattle ranches and rural east central Texas.

If, after work I want to go climb, the 4 mile bike ride somehow wanders into district 31, which heads north on I-35 and covers Perry's greatest fans.

How is this legal?  Two supreme court rulings have not fixed the root moral issue.

http://gis1.tlc.state.tx.us/
Select map "PLANC235 - COURT-ORDERED INTERIM CONGRESSIONAL PLAN"


More posts soon!  I've taken a hiatus due to some serious time commitments.  I've been working on the final BMS schematic I've been dreaming up for over a year now... info to follow.